Subject: Re: [Leica] A new definition of inexpensive camera
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:29:22 -0800 (PST)

By your cost breakdown, I guess you're just passing
the camera around and letting everyone view the pics
off the little LCD screen. But I can even the score in
film's favor if I just stick to passing around sheets
of my negatives! And figuring that many Leica cameras
are still in use 10+ years later, I think it's fair to
expect that you'll be still using that Rebel in 2014,
right?

Jeff

>Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:08:11 -0500
>From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
>Subject: [Leica] A new definition of inexpensive
camera
>David Rogers took Richard to task over the price of
>the new Digital canon rebel:

>>$999 is cheap? Or were you referring to how it
feels?

>>> I had the opportunity to try out and view some 8
1/2 X 11 color
prints
>>> from the Canon Rebel with the $100 18-55mm lens.
The whole deal
>>> costs $999.  I was blown away with the quality and
depth of the
photos
>>> from such a cheap outfit.

>It's only expensive if you don't take any photos. I
>don't know what it costs you all to develop film, but
>for me it was about $20 for a roll of
>slide film and processing. And let's say $10 for a
>roll of B&W and processing (if I do it myself and
>consider my time to be free). So if I shoot:
>
>2 rolls of B&W a week: $1040
>1 roll of Chrome a week: $1040
>
>You've made back the price of your camera in six
>months.
>
>But I know that there are probably people on this
list >who shoot a lot less than three rolls a week. So
if >you only shoot one roll of b&w a month
>... It will take you two years before your digital
>canon is free.
>
>I think that's a pretty cheap camera.
>
>Kyle GIVE THEM THE RAZOR FOR FREE AND CHARGE FOR THE
BLADES cassidy