Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R lens question
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:38:55 -0800

Well, Canon long glass is the best there is (except for the obscenely
expensive Zeiss tele Apo Tessar). Canon's use of fluorite - where
nobody else will - gives them an edge. Their 300 2.8 is a tiny bit
better than the Apo Telyt, but that APO is still an outstanding lens
for a lens designed more than 20 years ago. The 180 f/2 Apo is evidence
of what it would be like if created under the current lens designers at
Leica.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The
pessimist fears it is true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer