Subject: Re: [Leica] digital in low light
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 05:00:56 -0800

On 2/2/04 8:40 PM, "Clive Moss" <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> sam wrote:
>> Clive, I think I'm going to drop out of the film vs digital thread.
> Digital vs. film is a pointless topic indeed. Sort of like oil painting
> vs watercolor. They can both make images. They are different.
> I was commenting on the pointlessness of comparing 4x5 with sub 35mm --
> whatever the recording medium. Now -- what size should the megium be?
> those threads have been going on for decades :-)

Oil vs acrylic I'd say a better analogy.

They both make regular looking pictures but the acrylic is more instant in
and out high tech convenience. And somehow perhaps lacks depth and guts.
And which will be falling off the canvas in sheets in 50 years?

Watercolor is as different from oil as regular color or black and white
photography is from Gum bicromate or platinum.
Certainly a good analogy with gum bicromate. (is watercolor)

Will gum you to death.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon