Subject: [Leica] RE: OT : A test
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:11:33 +0100

Some days ago someone was considering the alternatives to the next Leica
Digilux or better say the possible competitors. As I've done a long test of
the new Sony I should like give this information. If digital is not a next
concern, please hit the delete key...

After some weeks I can show some pictures I've shooted with my new Sony 828.
However all the published tests of this camera were truly bad I have bought
it as none of my Sony equipment gave me but satisfactions. In my humble
opinion I guessed right because almost every picture I've shooted up to now
seem OK for me.

Please have a look to

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=372788

Where there are some examples of pictures which show how the camera deal
with

1. Flash
2. Colour and focusing
3. Sharpness and bokeh
4. Fringing
5. Ghosting and flare
6. Metering
7. Black and white

These pictures have been selected not for their photographic value, if any,
but for his ability for showing the camera capabilities. I'm a EOS 1Ds user
but I find that when I wish not carry a truly weighty bag I can use the
Sony. Other can have, and they do, another opinion, but in my humble opinion
this camera has:

a. An excellent zoom, Carl Zeiss design, well coated, with so few flare and
so much sharpness

b. 8 real megapixels that produce pictures perfect for, at least, up to A3
printing

c. Excellent autofocus and metering systems

d. Nice colour

e. Very silent and short lag shooting device

My only concerns

a) It is not a truly "pocketable" camera

b) Too many features for a conventional user

c) Better not use in 200 and up ISO

d) Why not a "stabilization"?

The camera, as almost any P&S, has really noise. More or less than others? I
cannot say as it's my first and only digital p&s. For avoiding this you need
buying a professional DSLR. I did. I tried to get fringing pictures with the
Sony and after many, many shoots I finally got them. I know now that a
combination of a) wide position, b) strong backlight and c) a contrasty
object may produce, not always, fringing.  I believe that you'll get in real
life one fringing picture from some hundreds excellent pictures. By the way
this is exactly the same phenomenon produced wit my EOS 1Ds again combining
many megapixels and wide lens, and it's my best camera.

It seems to me that it is different a test of some days even coming from a
very good professional than have a camera for long and shoot some thousand
pictures as I've done. It confirm my opinion the best way to get an idea of
how a camera performs is shooting, as much as possible, with it and forget
any theoretical consideration.

Kind regards

Felix