Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Trichromatic vision
From: Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:15:02 -0500

Thanks for the very impressive summary.  I didn't know about the subtypes
of M and L cones.  I think you took care of the horse pretty well!

I also believe that subcortical and cortical structures (programmed by a
combination of genetic inheritance and individual experience/environment)
normally have a greater influence on human perception of color than does
the retina.  (Leaving out such situations as a complete lack of a class of
cone, of course.)  The challenge for neurobiologists is to figure out where
in the brain and (more interestingly) how that processing takes place.

- -Aaron