Subject: [Leica] Tina's Choices
From: Thomas Pastorello <etruscello@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:22:09 -0800 (PST)

   Thank you for inviting amateur comments on
selections, Tina.  I'm in awe of your work, so I don't
know how objective I can be -- if I were the editor,
I'd keep all.
   Two images effectively show only the backs of the
women: Leonissa and Paulina.  Leonissa is well engaged
by the dog and nicely framed and front-lighted by the
open door.  Paulina is not so well engaged by the cat
- -- does a cat ever engage well?  Given their similar
structure, if one has to go, I'd drop Paulina and the
cat.
   In the Rehabilitation photo, I find the boy's arm
distracting.  I otherwise love the woman's expression.
 It's the composition that bothers me.  It may just be
that your composition is too sophisticated for me.
There are some fine wines I don't like.  Keep that in
mind as I "x" Rehabilitation.
   The Dr. Bobby images are wonderful and different.
The significant variations minimize any sense of
redundancy.  They are different enough that I'd keep
all!
   "Wide Open" must be kept.  The empathic responses
of the lookers-on create a special moment in time with
intense human feeling.
   Faviana is a beautiful portrait, but an almost
cliche pose with a common Nat. Geo. look.  If a
portrait has to go, perhaps that's it.
   Your Maria and Julian children's portraits are side
by side.  If one must go, I'd eliminate Julian.  They
both engage by eyes and mind, but Maria engages my
heart.
   I have no more time right now.  These are my first
reactions.  If this has been at all helpful, I'll try
again.  Thank you for allowing a participation in your
beautiful art.  If only life were always participation
in art.
   Tom Pastorello