Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Digital M
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:50:28 -0800

On 2004-02-09 <bdcolen@earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)> thoughtfully wrote:

>The only
>thing that will save the company is producing quality products - which
>it does - for which there is a strong market - which it does not now do.

This is the essence of the problem for Leica, of course.

They are faced with a problem: the digital revolution is sweeping through the
photographic business. Leica's strength is superb optics and build quality. The
optics are still wasted on state-of-the-art digital sensors and build quality
doesn't mean much unless you provide a way to swap out the sensor part of the
camera. Sure they give good results but so will the lesser lenses, witness the
Sony and Olympus digitals.

I'd like the idea, a lot, of even a factory exchangeable back so that as the
technology improved we could take advantage of that. More pixels or better
sensitivity, or both, to keep the investment in lenses and support equipment
within bounds.

If Leica found a way to do this they would have a product worthy of continued
investment. If they want to make the digital R back feel like a reasonable
investment they'd offer some form of technological security so you could
upgrade.

Oh well. It's only a dream.

Adam