Subject: Re: [Leica] Portfolio Editing
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:47:34 +1100

G'day Tina,

I must have been away when this started, and I'm not sure of the
premise, but I assume you need to cull the list. My completely non
professional view is that any Curriculum Vitae should contain the
breadth of work experience and skills the person is blessed with. To
that end, the cull would be based on trying to demonstrate the skill
and versatility of the work, so I would sit down and list the differing
photographic problems you face, order them in terms of your strengths
and then find the images which display these strengths. I would display
colour images and black and white ones in separate folders. For me
putting them together always lessens the impact of each. If you need to
put them in one folder/display then build up to the colour images by
finding ones which are almost b/w in effect to more slowly introduce
the use of colour.

My only real experience with culling of course has come with the FOM2
project, where by using the impressions of "judges" we have mixed and
matched the final selections. Here I also use the "strength" of that
project-- the large variety of differing photographers and therefore
styles, to influence the mix, and I try to avoid "most" of my own
opinions. So for what it is worth, I will make a list of your
photographic strengths/stories and try to choose the image I think best
reflect it. This is not an easy task mind you, and remember it comes
from a user or X-rays not light rays.

Your ability to be part of the lives of those you photograph: intimacy.
To me this is your greatest strength so I would include at least two
examples: image #2 and Image #43

Composition through lighting: the use of light is strength number 2,
and underpins the intimacy of your images. Two examples: image #25 and
image #38

Your expression of family values: Image #30

The development of image strength through shape: image #28

Your expression of human dignity: image #33

The importance of Community: image #6

The story of hope through humour: image #37

The development of image strength through colour: I don't think of you
in terms of colour photography. Here you offer less examples in the
selection, and some images I would have preferred to have seen in b/w
anyway. However, colour is certainly not a weakness, but to me it is
less of a strength. I would like to find a subtle colour image, one
which is almost b/w in effect (there is not really an example here),
then one of soft colour, giving strength to the message in the
photograph image #12, then one which uses a dominant colour where the
colour is the composition Image  #13, and then one strong, bright,
"Fuji" colour image -- (not for me, but for those who like that sort of
thing ;-) ) Image #18

Doing it like this, ie choosing an image to represent a strength has
culled some of my favorite images, but then that is what editing is all
about, and it was somehow less painful this way ;-)

cheers