Subject: Re: [Leica] Karsh portraits: I see the light!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:48:16 -0800

Eric aid:
Subject: [Leica] Karsh portraits: I see the light!

> Once again, I looked through a book of portraits by Yousef Karsh.  It's
been
> a few years since I last looked at them.  This time, I realized that I was
> really starting to notice something:  namely, that I've never seen Ted
Grant
> and Yousef Karsh in the same place at the same time.  Errr...no, that's
not
> it at all.
>
> What I realized is that in the portraits that really jumped off the page,
> could hear Ted's voice:  Shoot from the shadow side.  Light.  Eyes.
Action.
> Wow.  Is it really that simple?  It appears to be.  Not all of them were
lit
> in this way.  But many were.  And those really stood out.  Drew my eye to
> the person's face.<<<<<

Hi Eric,
Well if you lived in Ottawa a number of years ago it was quite easy to see
Yousuf and myself together. :-) As well as his brother Malak, an amazing
photographer equal to Karsh, but in the commercial photography field.

Both of these men were my friends and I was shattered when they passed away.
We'd shared many fine moments talking photography, looking at prints of each
others work and the enjoyments we received from being photographers.

Karsh without question was a master of light and it showed so successfully
in his B&W portraits. And like you I have several of his books and once in
awhile I'll quietly turn the pages as I've done many times in the past. And
when I do there's such a good feeling about what I learned from him and
through his friendship.

I am very honoured to have two touching moments in my photographic life
involving Karsh. First, winning the Karsh Award for the best B&W portrait in
Photojournalism presented by the Professional Photographers of Canada in
1971.

The second in 1999 to be awarded along with Yousuf a "Lifetime Achievement
Award" from the Canadian Association of Photographers and Illustrators in
Communication.  Now that one is very special indeed.  Later we joked with
Malak that we finally caught up to him because he'd received his the year
before. :-)

When I suggest the most important thing in good photography is always light,
eyes, action, I mean it most sincerely. And he was just as adamant as I
about the value of understanding how to make light work for you. And it sure
speaks volumes when you look at his pictures.

So thank you for bringing it to our attention one more time.
ted