Subject: [Leica] Wides, 28 and shorter
From: Luc Bourgeois <luc@forcemajeure.qc.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:02:46 -0500

Hi again.

Prelude:

''Yet another very though question appears here before the wise
Leicaists of this Leica list. But exhausted by the relentless onslaught
of Digitalia, one can wonder if they will be able to yield the swift
blades through which they focus the knowledge of the Knights of Leitz.''

Question:

I'm presently thinking that anything wider than 35mm on a .72 M is
uncomfortable to use. (And I don't want a wider viewfinder M).
Experience with my 28 has proven the framing is very tight; I almost
have to press my eyeball well into the eyepiece (painful after 20 to 30
minutes, I say), and I still sometimes get my shadow or some other
useless and unnoticed detail in the frame.

This 28 stuff is workable for static subjects or during rare tripod use
where I can take my time. But for live action, it's difficult... And
I'm not mentioning the sixth of the frame that's always hidden by the
hood. Yes, life is though. So I've been loving up my 35, and that's
fine, but... I need wider views sometimes.

I'm thinking I've got three options:

Plan A) Nikon F2 and a good old Nikkor super-wide
Plan B) Leica R, (100% framing?) and an R lens in the 18 to 24 range
Plan C) 21mm ASPH-M with viewfinder

I think I'd prefer the 21m option, but... is the 'viewfinder on the
shoe' totally accurate? I mean pretty much dead on? It would have to be.

Are the Leica R super-wides as good as the Leica Ms lenses, or would
some Nikkors be good enough for 16x20s to my extremely difficult,
Leica-loving eye? (Yes, I only have one Leica-loving eye, the other one
is non-committal).

Your thoughts, O! Wise Ones, are awaited.

Draped in unpixelized reverence, I thank you in advance.

Luc