Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital DOF
From: "Jacques Bilinski & Barbara Bradbury" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:40:04 -0800

> 1) Sorry, not right. Increasing magnification, and keeping the other
> variables the same: shooting distance, aperture and output -- say 4x6
> print at 18 inches, you are reducing apparent DOF.

I'm still having trouble with this. I thought that a major complaint of the
small sensor digital cameras was that you cannot shoot portraits with the
background out of focus like you can with 35mm. So if you take 2 pictures -
one with a small sensor digital and one with a 35mm from the same location
(same perspective, different focal lengths, same f stop), and then print
both on a say 4x6 print. Will not the 35mm shot show a more out of focus
background?

Message from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Digital DOF)