Subject: Re: [Leica] scanning dark scala question/Nikon 5000
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:32:30 -0500

At 09:13 AM 2/22/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>I've seen negative posts regarding Nikon scanners for B&W so I'm very
>interested in your results or those of other Nikon 5000 users.
>
>The comments usually pertain to the "ice feature" reading grain and trying
>to correct it and in doing so spoil the scanned photograph. Comments?
>
>ted

Ted -

I have the Nikon 4000 and love it.  It's true you can't use the digital ICE
cleaning feature, but all you have to do is turn that feature off.  You
can't use it with Kodachrome either.  The cleaner reads the metal in both
black and white negatives and Kodachrome as dirt and tries to remove it.  I
do fine cleaning the negatives first and then spotting any leftover
blemishes with PhotoShop.  You can use the other two ICE features - the
grain equalizer and the color restorer.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com