Subject: [Leica] Re: Minox vs. digital
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:32:26 EST

In a message dated 2/22/04 10:09:11 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< The sensor in the Leica digilux 2 and
similar top end P&S cameras is the size of my index fingernail, the
less expensive cameras have sensors about half the size of my little
fingernail. So 35mm film is much better than them, but Minox film
probably isn't - I haven't used a Minox for years. Does one often
need/fully exploit the potential of 35mm film on a Leica? >>

I confess that I am a Minox user. I have 4 Minoxi, an original Riga, two IIIs
and one B. Also a Minox enlarger and a full compliment of specialized
developing tanks. Using standard ISO 50 or 100 film I can produce good 5x7" prints
and passable 8x10" prints. Despite the Minox hype of curved film planes neither
will compare with a decent P&S camera 35 mm film print of similar size.
Moreover prints derived from that fingernail size sensor on the 3.3 megabyte digital
camera that I use, one of the original Fuji/Leica Digiluxes, also blows the
Minox prints away.

However, the Minox is a true go anywhere camera. It slips into the pocket so
lightly and easily that you hardly know you are carrying it. What I'm waiting
for is for Leica/Minox to produce a digital camera with the Minox form factor
and a 3 to 4 megabyte sensor.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Minox vs. digital)