Subject: Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: Kevin Argue <kargue@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:01:25 -0500

Oh Ted- I was in Bosnia with our Canadian troops in December-- embedded so
to speak. I wore a helmet, had body armour and gas mask and everywhere I
went an armed guard. The only conditions set by the military was identifying
specific operations and locations. We had full access to all our troops. We
lived with them, flew in helicopters, rode light armoured vehicles and went
on weapons searches in the mountains. The one time we were stopped was over
the suicide of a soldier. Then we were cut off from filing home until next
of kin notified, then we could do our job. suicides are not usually
published in any paper. As for my personal protection, the last time I was
in Bosnia a drunkin muslim with AK47 shot at my reporter and I just to scare
us. There was no military orders on what we reported. Perhaps the Canadian
military is more open than the US military.
As for the issue of medals. I was told that since I have been on
peacekeeping missions to Cyprus(2), Kuwait/Irag, and Bosnia(2) I may qualify
for a peacekeeping medal for time in theatre. After all the civilian
contractors working for the military in Bosnia and Afghanistan are getting
them.

Cheers,
Kevin Argue