Subject: Re: [Leica] CM vs Minilux
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:57:34 -0800

Sam just nailed a major reason why many of us prefer Leicas and other
classic manual cameras.

With classic cameras, you have a direct, tactile connection with the
controls.  You feel the detents of the f-stop ring and shutter speed
dial.   You feel the film wind (hopefully!)

The more advanced a camera gets, the more "stuff" there is between you and
the controls.  On the later film SLRs and the prosumer digital cameras, you
are no longer controlling the camera.  You are programming a computer to
make certain sets of choices, biased in a certain way, and you hope that
these choices are the ones you would make if you were in control.

Yes, you can switch the camera to manual.  But you are still "flying by
wire." Often the way you "fly" is dictated by a user interface designed by
spiritual descendants of the engineer who invented the VCRs that nobody can
program.  It uses carousel menus that program a single control to do
eighteen things so said engineer's bosses can tell their bosses how much
they're controlling costs.  They sell gadget freakery and being "au
courant," not photography, and a lot of people bite.

Now don't get me wrong--sometimes the automation is a godsend.  It will get
you shots that you might not get otherwise.  It can allow you to shoot fast
when you need to.  But there's a price.  When you want to be in control,
it's often more awkward than the older gear.  And as Sam says, the classic
stuff is more fun.

All this is why I find the design of the Digilux II and announcement of the
Epson "digital Bessa" very encouraging.  Somebody in the digital world is
actually paying attention to why we *enjoy* the mechanics of taking pictures.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA