Subject: [Leica] Re: help critique my lighting
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:05:02 -0500

Ah! The softbox!

http://www.faneuil.net/softbox_test.jpg

A few years ago I read some photographer say something like "those kids
today, they just throw a softbox at something and it's perfectly lit, it's
cheating! So I went out and bought a pair for about $100 each. Later I
discovered that it really wasn't any different from an umbrella and a bit
more difficult to carry around.

My own first softbox shots are here:

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/studio/

Now, onto my critique of yours.

I think you've already "mastered" the art of softbox photography and, it
also seems you've mastered the art of getting a very attractive model to
marry you and some hammy kids all of whom will be willing to participate in
your further softbox experiments. You stand upon a converging path. You can
now take lovely Sears Style portraits of everybody you know which will wow
all of your friends and relatives, or you can now take your lighting skills
and photograph interesting and unusual subjects. In 1970 or so, Irving Penn
took this gigantic natural-light softbox (in the form of a gause tent) to
Africa and did really amazing portraits of people. You can now do amazing
portraits of Skate Punks, WWII vets, returning soldiers, people who own
fancy roosters, whatever. My vote goes for not so much of the sears
portrait.

You have taken one of the better baby photos I've seen on the lug
(http://www.faneuil.net/2003w02.htm) so I know you have the talent. Now, I'm
counting on you to come through. The easy part's done.

Kyle