Subject: [Leica] Don't you ever print anything?!
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:44:06 -0500

Sam asked:

>Which brings me to the meandering of the the digital "I can shoot all
>day for free if I shoot digital" crowd. Film is a small part of the cost
>of print making. Don't you people ever print out anything? Or is there
>anything worth printing when you shoot with dollar signs obscuring your
>eyes? Or haven't you noticed that a nice jet ink print printed on good
>paper with obscenely expensive inks (a recent magazine estimated the
>cost of Epson inks at $99.00 a pound) cost more than a conventional print?

For me, at least, MOST if not nearly all of the printing costs are now born
by the consumer. I put things in my portfolio, and for that I pay for
printing, and occasionally I yank something off the wall and replace it with
something else. But for the most part, I rarely have anything printed. And
when I do, the printers would just as soon see a digital file that I've
already dodged and burned, than a negative and a sheet of instructions.

Kc

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Don't you ever print anything?!)
Reply from dante@umich.edu (Re: [Leica] Don't you ever print anything?!)