Subject: RE: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: Tim Atherton <timatherton@theedge.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:32:37 -0700

Just a note

Mine is the second paragraph quoted below - I was responded (with the
section about war artists) to the first paragraph, which was not mine, as
has been said elsewhere in this thread:

>> As to WWI, reporting and photography were heavily censored; had they
>> not
>> been, and had folks at home been aware of the utterly senseless,
>> unnecessary slaughter of that particular war, it is likely there would
>> have been major resistance to the war in the Allied nations.

> What's interesting about WWI is that the work of the official "War
> Artists" - especially British & Canadian, while generally not seen
> until
> somewhat later, probably gave (and still gives) a much more accurate
> account
> of what was happening and the reality of the situation "in the
> trenches"

Having had a Great Grandfather who served in a front-line infantry unit from
the first days of the BEF in 1914 until the end of the war in 1918, I was
brought up with an understanding of the reality of that conflict. (I
recently tracked down the commendations for some of his medals - the
Military Cross and the Distinguished Conduct Medal - reading them, I think
they must have been made of different stuff in those days.

tim