Subject: [Leica] A Grudging Concession to Digital, Made With Regret
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:55:28 -0500

I recently picked up an Epson 1200S scanner with its transparency adapter.
This allows a rather low-quality scans of negatives and chromes up to 4" by
5".  I have been astounded at the ease I have in scanning 6cm by 6cm
negatives and chromes and in printing them on a rather mundane HP Deskjet
printer.  I really am getting 8" by 10" quality on a page.  I recognze that
I cannot crop as I am accustomed to do on an enlarger but, then, this is so
damned EASY that it makes up for that in part, at the least.  It used to
take me 30 minutes to Ilfochrome a slide or 45 minutes to print a negative;
 now, I can scan and print within 5 minutes.  I will keep my darkroom up
for the critical work but I doubt if I'll be doing much of my routine work
there.

I really have been impressed by the quality of the prints.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] A Grudging Concession to Digital, Made With Regret)