Subject: WWI [was Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq]
From: Chris Chen <furcafe@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:33:22 -0800 (PST)

I don't know whether they're "misconceptions" so much
as the fact that our "modern memory" (to quote
Fussell) of the Great War is colored by the
trenchantly anti-war art & literature that came out
it.  HOwever, I agree that many people today seem to
forget how much popular support there was for fighting
WWI (in the same way that people forget how much
dissension & division existed during WWII).

As to photography during WWI, to bring things sort of
back on-topic, were there many cameras & films
available @ the time that could have captured
battlefield action?  I'm thinking that much of the
available equipment was too big & cumbersome & the
films (or plates) too slow.

Chris