Subject: [Leica] Leica] Ed Bradley and Sixty Minutes
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:55:10 -0500

On Feb 26, 2004, at 8:30 AM, Marc James Small wrote:

> At 01:06 PM 2/25/04 -0500, Rolfe Tessem wrote:
>> With all due respect, this is just a load of crap.
>>
>> Let's see, the film needed to get back to Saigon, then flown out to
>> Hong Kong or Tokyo for processing.
>>

> Actually, it is not, as you so gently term it, "a load of crap".  It
> was
> one of the first occasions on which Network News used a live feed -- I
> suspect "live" being several hours old to allow for editing.  But the
> moderator was asking questions and Bradlee was answering, so it was
> transmitted in real time.
>
> This was quite a stink at the time:  there was a major article in the
> Washington Post magazine on this one Sunday, and I recall that the
> National
> Review also did an article on this.  (I was in college at the time and,
> trust me, we argued this one out to its limits.
>
> Marc

Marc,

There was no satellite uplink in Saigon, nor was there the capability
to transmit video terrestrially, not to mention that the development of
small video cameras was still almost a decade in the future, so this
must have been a neat trick. Of course, daytime in Vietnam is the
middle of the night here, but I guess we're not bothering with the
details of this supposed story.

This one goes straight to the Urban Legends repository.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.