Subject: Re: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists now 60 minutes
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@www.sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:46:55 -0600

> Sonny,
>
> There was no film processing in Saigon. What would have been the
> point? What would you have done with the film sitting in Saigon
> after it was processed?

You may be right, but the point would be for the field producer and/or the
correspondent to oversee the editing of the package.  I worked as a film
editor several times for CBS when they wanted to feed from New Orlans and
Baton Rouge.  That was their culture.

There were uplinks in the Phillipines and Hong Kong, and I think in Bangkok
as well.  (I've never seen anything suggesting uplink facilities in Saigon.
My recollection is 60 minutes had enough stature to have warranted satellite
feed time.

That the satellite time was dear is the reason they would have edited as
close to point of issue as possible, to save expense of raw footage being
sent on a bird or the two days of getting. Stuff was happening pretty fast.

> Anyway, what I was pointing out was that the idea of the North
> Vietnamese gaining any timely information from either Sixty Minutes
> or the CBS Evening news is pretty preposterous.

I'm not sure I agree with that; read what Mike Marriott says:
"It was 40,000 soldiers and their families fleeing. It was the most
incredible footage. I had never seen an entire army in flight, without firing
a shot.

They had ducks, pigs on the back of their tanks. Anything and everything they
owned was strapped to their armored personnel carriers and tanks. So everyone
knew. All (the Communist troops) had to do was watch CBS back here, to know
that now half the country was gone."
http://tinyurl.com/34foe

Sonny