Subject: RE: [Leica] Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:54:20 -0500

At 10:06 AM 2/26/04 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:

>But...Given the Vietnamese success in ambushing patrols during that
>conflict, I would guess that the Vietnamese hanging around the U.S.
>bases and camps - to say nothing of some members of the South Vietnamese
>military - were a much more serious threat to U.S. troops than was the
>occasional journalistic security lapse.

To be fair, BD, that is a bit of an urban myth.  The US military was, on
the whole, better at ambushing NLF forces than was the opposite, though the
media flipped the picture in the reportage.  The ambushing bit pretty much
died away, in any event, after Tet, as Tet marked the effective destruction
of the Viet Cong, and the battle after that was with PRVN Army mainline
units, who had as little interest in tip-and-run raids as did our military.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!