Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Screen resolution assumptions for websites
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:00:22 -0800

I don't expect the site to be slow at all.  The design is actually very
lightweight, making good use of tables and HTML color, with graphics
used sparingly.  Images will be 600px long, and I think I've found a
balance that looks good without readily visible compression artifacts.
The recent gallery I posted of Laos and Vietnam photos is a good
example.  I expect that it will run pretty well, even on a dial up
connection.

I think the iBooks from 2001 onward support 1024x768 resolution.  My
old Sony notebook from 1999, with a 12" display and an ancient Pentium
II running at just 400mhz is 1024x768 native.  The 1Ghz Ti Powerbook
(circa January 2003) I'm writing this on right now is 1280x854.

I don't think the caption info is a problem either.  We have worked it
out so that there is room to see the whole image and caption
information (vertical and horizontal) without scrolling, so long as the
user has a 1024x768 display.

It will be interesting to hear if any LUGgers are using 800x600
displays.

- --Jim