Subject: Re: [Leica] A Grudging Concession to Digital, Made With Regret
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:40:53 -0800

snip

>> From what i,ve checked many times with my 4000 scanner ,it fails to digitise
> detail that is available in handheld shots .I doubt that a 5000 one would
> extract the fine detail one would achieve with a tripod.
> Brother how long would it take one to get started in printing the old way?
> simon

Hand held or locked down the grain is the same as it stays mainly on the
film-plane.

Actually grain will be a tad more noticeable in an out of focus or blurry
area. In sharp areas it seems to magically line itself up with the detail a
phenomena I've never heard explained or even confirmed.

So I guess in a sense your right. You get more grain hand held.
I never thought of that.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon