Subject: Re: [Leica] My favorite C41 processor closed....
From: Tony Terlecki <ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:17:33 +0000

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 01:19:52AM -0600, Karen Nakamura wrote:

> My favorite local processor for C41 closed a few weeks ago. I hadn't
> realized it until last week when I tried to drop off a roll .I
> usually shoot B&W or slide film and so rarely send out for C41, but
> their doors were shuttered.
>
> They were just a small store but I had them finally to the point
> where they understood exactly how I liked my film developed and cut.
> None of the mail order or local firms (except A&I) seem to understand
> that I like my film in strips of 6 rather than 4 because of my filing
> system. And most of the local places left sludge on my C41 except
> this one place, which was also on my commute to work.
>
> Sigh...... I feel guilty in that my use of C41 has dropped because of
> digital. It's much easier and cheaper for me to work with E6 or B&W
> instead of C41.
>
> I think ironically this will push me to do even more work in B&W
> simply because I don't want to go to the bother of finding another
> local place that does C41 in the St. Paul area.  I'm happy with A&I
> for my E6 work.

If you do your own B&W at home then you might consider also trying C-41.
Used Jobo processors are going for very little nowadays and a 3-step C-41
process provides excellent results which easily match any lab I've used (in
fact it's the variable quality I used to get from labs which drove me to
process everything at home). That still leaves the printing of course but for
colour at least I've personally gone digital for that stage.

- --
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk