Subject: [Leica] A few of my favorite things- 8
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:29:24 -0700

Martin Howard shared of his vast knowledge of Leitz minutia:

Mike Durling wrote, in part:

> Speaking of Vulcanite, Its odd that my 32 year old M4's vulcanite is
> chipping badly while that on my 46 year old IIIF is like new.

Not really.  You see, the vulcanite of the earlier, LTM cameras, was
actually furnished from the inner layer of the bark of a rare tree that
grows in the German Black Forest.  It would be collected by young
virgins,
selected for their delicate fingers and only harvested between 4:30 and
5:15
AM, when the dew ensured that the humidity was such that the material
wouldn't be harmed.

Then followed an arduous process of curing the material, followed by
imprinting of the characteristic vulcanite pattern, which is actually
achieved through meticulous hammering with small, ivory hammers by
elderly,
experienced craftsmen, selected for their delicate white hair.  If you
look
carefully, you'll notice that the pattern of each camera is different,
because each craftsmen had to spend their apprenticeship manufacturing
their
own hammer -- a process that reliable sources (which I'm unfortunately
unable to name) tell me took no less than 12 years for the person of
average
dexterity.

Of course, now-a-days, the whole process is ISO 9001 and Y2K certified
and
the vulcanite is actually an artificially produced material.  The old
stuff
needed some attention, and Leica shops around the world would ensure
that
there would be a qualified white-haired gentlemen with a small vial of
mountain dew on hand, to coat the vulcanite when the camera was handed
in
for service.  But then the depletion of the ozone layer and increased
labour
costs meant that collecting the mountain dew became too expensive, and
the
modern stuff just needs to be wiped clean with a pair of Ted's drawers
if
exposed to sea water, but otherwise is fine.

Yep.  They don't build 'em like they used to...

M.

- --
"Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down my clothes."