Subject: [Leica] A few of my favorite things- 10
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:43:55 -0700

Finally my very first post to the list from 16 Nov 1999:

Hello I am a newbe to this list and have enjoyed listening in on all the
chatter. I have been following the perennial wysiwyg SLR over
rangefinder
debate and would like to offer up some comments. In a SLR you are not
seeing
what the image will really look like unless you are shooting wide open.
In a
quickly changing scene it is easy to be surprised by what you did not
see in
your wide open SLR viewfinder. I prefer the rangefinder as you always
"see"
the whole depth of a scene and can easily learn to estimate depth of
field
coverage. Now of course when you get close with a rangefinder, it is
all to
easy to have parallax error (forgive me for such elementary concepts)
rear
its confusing head (or perhaps lack of one). I must confess that I am
not a
spectacularly bright fellow and have a tough time switching from
rangefinder
to SLR. The momentary black out and enormous clank leaves me a little
dazed
and wanting sit down and have a little rest.