Subject: Re: [Leica] photo critique requested
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:55:29 -0500

	Thanks to all who commented on these pictures. I really appreciate it.

Adam Bridge wonders:

> I think you're too far away (did you have to stay behind the counter?)

	No, Walt's nice enough to give me full run of the shop.

> I've taken instruments to this
> wonderful shop in downtown Oakland (CA) which is in the basement of a building
> close to city hall, and I've NEVER had the coruage to ask to take pictures while
> the artisan was working on the instruments.

	This is probably the place recently mentioned on the horn list,
where all the Bay area pros take their horns for repair. I
remember it was in Oakland. Next time you're there, ask them if
you can use your Leica. The worst they can say is no. (FWIW, I
*always* ask Walt if it's OK to take pictures.)

Phong says:

> Anyway, thanks for indulging my presumptuousness (?).

	It isn't presumtuousness (I don't know how to spell it, either
<g>) at all. I *asked* for comments, which, believe me, I would
not have done had I not wanted them.

Jon says:

> Years ago I had the experience of visiting the shop of Renold Schilke (hand
> made trumpets) .

	Not to mention a legendary player in the Chicago Symphony! I'm
drooling (but not on any Leicas). He's right up there with Carl
Geyer!!!

Ted notes:

> The cross window light in each shot created beautiful lighting effects that
> you didn't take advantage of in nearly every frame.

	I wonder how I could have done this? Walt and the windows were
immovable. So the only way to do it would be for me to change
positions. Obviously that changes what's visible in the
pictures--maybe not his face, maybe no idea at all what his hands
are doing, and so on.

	Not flame bait. I'm really trying to improve here. I have a
standing invitation to hang out at his shop. I need to do this
more, because, much as I dislike thinking about it, there's no
telling how much longer it'll be possible: Walt's 81 this year,
and I genuinely like the guy. He also never objects to
photographs. You can see some more of him working his magic linked at

http://www.mindspring.com/~flagstad/horn/vienna/wienvlv1.html

(Shield your eyes from the picture actually on this page. It was
taken with a Nikkormat FTn and 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor-P!)

	Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to look at these and
comment, both on- and off-list.

					Howard Sanner
					flagstad@mindspring.com