Subject: [Leica] RE:Traveling the world, just me and my camera
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:51:55 +0100

>There are too many people who think all you need is a Leica, film, running
>shoes and a foreign country and you'll become the next HCB or Marc Riboud,
>and that's absolute nonsense.
>
>It has far more to do with what's between the ears than the equipment.
>Often we see pictures taken with a "Leica camera" and the presentation of
>the images make it sound like they're right out of  "best pictures ever
>taken book."
>
>When in fact they're crap because using a Leica doesn't ensure every
>picture is great, nor as sure as all get out, make the photographer the
>"world's greatest" because the exposure was made with a Leica!
>Unfortunately some folks believe a Leica makes every exposure brilliant!

Ted

With your kind permission, and mentioning the author, I'll translate into
Spanish, print and frame and I'll hang on my office home wall these
sentences. It's the most sensible statement I've read last months and,
changing the name Leica for any other brand will be useful every time I'll
intend buying any other camera. By no means will show this to my wife who
was as kind as lending me the money for getting my EOS 1Ds and, then, will
not do that never again. By the way I gave her back the amount with the
first "job" I've done with this camera. I'm not a pro but from time to time
some guys insist in get some work from me. The money I get, on this way, two
books up to now and a third coming soon, is "only" for more gear.

Kind regards

Felix

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] RE:Traveling the world, just me and my camera)