Subject: RE: [Leica] Digilux 2 short hands-on test
From: Wade Heninger <lists@heninger.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:37:30 -0800

> My local dealer got a Digilux2 for a customer yesterday and I had the
> chance to handle it while he was there to pick it up.

I did the same today myself.

1. Its lighter than I'd like.  It feels plasticky and cheap.  I remember
picking up the plastic wonder fixed frame SLR-wannabe Minolta a year or two
back and feeling the same.
2. The lens is big.  Makes me miss my 'cron 50.  Its also too big for the
body, and I couldn't hold it comfortably without banging into the lens on
either side.  And I don't have big hands.
3. The EVF isn't that bad.  Better than most ps cameras, but not a
rangefinder.
4. The 30% thicker is about right.  And it feels just like the previous
digilux 1 - too thick.
5. The on/off switch is on the back, not around the shutter.  Doh!
6. Weak DOF scale on the lens - it has the basics, but no lines to show
range.  Makes it harder to read quickly.  I know a lot of SLRs forgo this
completely these days, but I use it a lot.
7. $1800.  yeah right.
8. The aperture, shutter speed dial and focusing ring feel great!  Finally.

Net result:  half way to where I want it.  I was considering one of these,
now I'll wait for the next generation.  Maybe see what Cosina can pull off.

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
p h o t o g r a p h i k