Subject: Re: [Leica] best film for travel
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:19:27 -0700

Problems with harsh daytime lighting is a fact of photographic life.
Basically you have to compose and expose for the harsh sunlight and let
the shadows go. Forget flattering portraits unless you can find a
natural scrim perhaps with some flash as well if you are set up for it
- -- that is not using Ms.

Better yet, get up early, stay up late and have a nice long mid-day
siesta.

That said, I do find that the Kodak Portra NC films can handle harsh
contrasty lighting fairly well. You still have to be careful but you
can get useable shadow detail. Buy at least twenty rolls and shoot them
all BEFORE you go.

This does not make Portra NC a "best" film just one possible solution
for a specific situation.

  The Portra NC films do not give the gawd awful, eye popping, never
before seen in nature colours that are so popular today. That is a plus
for me, dunno how you feel about it but having Velvia in your arsenal
in one clue...

John Collier

Message from "Nelson Chan" <cchan@info.com.ph> (Re: [Leica] best film for travel)