Subject: RE: [Leica] Alternative to Digi2: G5 or C5060?
From: "Leonard J Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:38:47 -0800

Friends,

I am fortunate to have both the Leica D2 and the Canon G5. Just for fun, I
took them both with me this morning to make some family snaps at a
restaurant breakfast. Both set for aperture priority, no flash assist and
fine JPEG.

Net? Resolution results on card are almost identical. On auto indoors with
fluorescent and some mixed daylight from the east, color balance with the D2
is "cooler" than the G5, sort of like it used to be between Ektachrome and
Kodachrome 25 years ago.

DOF with the D2 at max extension seems shallower than with the G5, perhaps
the result of a larger sensor size?

The D2 is very camera-like in its operation, although I'm still getting used
to the EVF. Its form factor is larger than the G5, but grips nicely due to
the textured skin and feels substantial. The D2's EVF is preferable to the
optical viewfinder on the G5.

Menu visibility in the D2's EVF is excellent. The D2's basic controls are
just like the film-based rangefinder camera, the G5's are a combination of
radio buttons as well as two and four-way rocker switches, and there are a
lot of them - generally a "fussy", non-intuitive human interface design.

The G5 has very good battery life, the D2 less so, but both were adequate to
burn through a 256mb card of fine JPEGs without going flat.

If I could have only one, price no object, I would choose the D2. But
factoring in the current street price, the G5 is about 3 x less expensive
than the D2, so I would have to choose the G5.

Both cameras make excellent snapshots, if that's what you're looking for.
The D2 approaches being a serious work tool; only time will tell if I begin
to use it in place of M or R systems cameras for other than amusement and
family documentation.

Regarding the other camera mentioned, I have no experience with the C5060,
other than its designator is the same as the last four digits of my 'phone
number. :-)

Hope this is of help.

Len
Leonard J Kapner
E-Mail: ljkapner at cox dot net
Tel: (310) 377-5060 / Mobile: (310) 291-0140

- --