Subject: Re: [Leica] Crude Film/Digital test, Leica/Canon
From: "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:56:37 -0800

Steve,

This says something about lenses. But I'm not sure how much it says about
digital vs film.

I'm beginning to think that the potential quality of film and digital is so
similar that either one will give me the results I want. And my technical
ability with one medium or the other is what sets them apart.

I just saw some 20x30 inch enlargements from a D1 (only 2.7 MP) and I
couldn't believe my eyes. The guy who made them certainly knew his medium
inside and out. I don't details of the workflow. I just know the images were
taken with a D1 and printed on an Epson 7600.

Here's an example of the type of detail I find possible from a 6 MP camera
and a good lens. The image on the right is an enlargement of the sign in the
middle of the image on the left.

http://www.lightcurves.com/sampleImages/detail_example.htm

This was taken with the sharpest (non-Leica) prime lens I own. (All my Leica
lenses equal, and probably exceed the quality of the lens I used to take
this shot.) I took the same shot with a very high end non-Leica zoom lens
and it wasn't nearly as good.

IMHO, it's all about good lenses and good technique. Digital vs film is
secondary. I still prefer film for now, because I use 21 and 28 WA primes a
lot and they're wider on a film SLR than on a DSLR.

DaveR