Subject: Re: [Leica] TRIPOD: you recommend it- I buy it.
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:56:52 -0800

Gitzo 1228 + Arca Swiss B1 + Really Right Stuff quick release mounting
plates.  The best there is for travel.  Stable, reasonably light, and
durable.  My 1228 has been all over the place, climbed a few mountains,
choked on desert sand, been drenched in monsoon rains.  Tripped and
fell on it once about 5 years ago, and broke a CF leg.  Bogen sent all
the replacement parts and I overhauled the thing myself.  Great design.
  The 1227 is a bit more stable, but the legs are only in 3 sections
instead of 4, so it doesn't collapse as short.

Only downside is that you'll be way over the $200 budget...

Well, you asked us to spend your money!!  ;-)

- --Jim