Subject: [Leica] off list Re: Jay
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Mar 28 17:51:29 2004

on 3/28/04 5:25 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:

> To the mysterious "Leicajay@aol.com":
>
> Are your making prints from the output from those cameras?
> Are you scanner equipped?
> Output is a big issue here to judge the viability of new technologies.
> Digital has turned a lot of people who would have never done so into print
> makers. This increases the intensity of the photographic experience for them
> by tenfold.
>
> I normally don't respond to nameless posts and eventually I filter them.
>

> Mark Rabiner
> Photography
> Portland Oregon

Mark,

Jay is a dentist in south Florida, I think Broward County, who fancies
himself as an expert on all thing photograpic (and then some).  He's also an
ex-marine and is an excellent wordsmith.  He currently uses M and (I think)
LTM cameras as well as many other brands.  He has owned and broken 10 (ten!)
R bodies.  He was banned from the photo.net Leica forum for over a year for
rudeness, insults, inuendo and slander.  He will slander you on any forum,
related or not, directly or indirectly, if you get on the wrong side of him.
Ask me how I know.

You can get on the wrong side of him by questioning the superiority of Canon
EOS cameras, by telling the list that you don't use UV filters, by
discussing Bokeh, or by saying anything positive about Leica's product
planning, R cameras, or about the LHSA.  You can also get on the wrong side
of him by asking him to post some of his photos.  Depending on what day of
the month it was, his reasons for not posting any photos were either that
his enemies whould tear them to shreds or because photo.net wasn't a
taleneted enough or influential enough audience to view his photos.  Read
many of his posts and you will understand why he'd think he has enemies on
photo.net.

He does know a lot about the minutia of lens sharpness and the minor details
of product changes in the M line.  If you're at all familiar with Ken
Rockwell's "Seven Levels of Photographers" you know where this places him:
the Equipment Measurebater.  Tread carefully or prepare for battle with him.

Take care,

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com