Subject: [Leica] M 135 Opinions/Comments/Anecdotes/Cautions
From: graham at geebeephoto.com (Graham Battison)
Date: Mon Mar 29 13:36:23 2004

> Group:
>
> Will soon buy an M 135 mm and would like users'
> opinions/comments/anecdotes/cautions about the 3.4 APO and old glass
> (such
> as the 2.8). Have read Erwin Puts material, but would like some hands-on
>
> input closer to the photo world I inhabit. Lean toward a new 3.4 simply
> 'cuz
> I've had wretched luck over the years with anything used; must admit,
> however, that I am tempted by the extra stop and significant price
> differential of the old glass.
>
> On- and off-list user replies welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg Rubenstein
> gcr910@msn.com

---------------------------------------

Greg,

My 135 Elmarit has limitations. The 'eyes' prevent it being
mounted/unmounted when a motor wind is fitted and it has a soft look. It
draws some strange looks from other shooters, particularly if they also
witness the removal of the baseplate to reload film.

On the other hand I haven't had any difficulty with focus (unless that is
what is causing the soft look :-)) and so far as I am aware what I see in
the viewfinder is what I get on film:

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Castle_Ashby.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Whiston.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Whiston02.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Whiston03.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/Leica_PAW_2002/images/Week%2036.jpg

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Easton_Maudit7.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Paulerspury.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Byfield_01.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Byfield_02.html

It may qualify as a 'pooch' but it isn't pedigree price

--Graham