Subject: [Leica] Grits!! (was: Kodak B&W 400 film)
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Apr 2 17:57:48 2004

2004-04-02-18:04:42 Tina Manley:
> At 04:50 PM 4/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> >I add some milk and real maple syrup to it.
>
> Heresy!  That's not grits.  No wonder most Yankees don't like grits.

Butter, pepper, salt.  If a little pan gravy accidentally finds its
way into the grits area, that's not the end of the world.

I love grits, and most would call me a Yankee.  At least, I'm sure my
Florida cousins would.  I'm the child of a mixed marriage -- my mama
was kidnapped from Florida by a New Jersey Yankee (at least that's the
way she always told it), and I grew up in Yankeeland.  (And let's have
none of that odd flavor of Southern prejudice which wants to claim
that Florida "isn't really the South."  Those who make that claim are
thinking of Miami or perhaps Orlando, and have clearly never been near
Frostproof or Plant City.)

Just to add to the confusion, I went to school practically slap-dab in
the middle, in North Carolina.  I had to retreat to New Jersey because
there was a horrible recession hitting NC particularly hard when I
emerged after my leisurely time in academia, and I don't seem to have
made my way back down; but for whatever reason, my average annual
consumption of collards seems to be above the local Jersey City
average.

It can be a challenge to find good grits to cook here, though.
Sometimes if you get completely desperate, you can go looking for
polenta, foodie-endorsed as it is and therefore more available, but
usually the texture doesn't turn out quite right.

I seem to recall somebody mentioned a mill which might do mail-order
business;  I'll have to check that out.

Replies: Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Grits)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Grits!! (was: Kodak B&W 400 film))