Subject: [Leica] Re:what would you do?
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Sat Apr 3 07:28:41 2004

In a message dated 4/3/04 8:10:42 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> > Ted,
> > This kind of thing really gets to me.? Just reading your story gets my
> > blood boiling.? Obviously, some ham-handed TSA screener decided that
> > your locked M7s constituted a threat.

I think one thing needs to be said -- make sure your cameras are unlocked
when you ship them this way, and not just the case, but the cameras themselves
-- if the guy who is unschooled in the way of every camera's operation can't
make it work, he's going to wonder if it really is a camera.

yes, it's wrong, yes, he should know how to work the camera, but no, they
don't. Every camera works differently, there are a zillion of them out there,
trusting them to know how to make your camera work so they can be sure it is not
an explosive is asking a bit much.

so make sure the camera can be shown to operated by someone who doesn't know
how, or ship it another way. Considering the potential grief if something goes
wrong, is it not reasonable to
fedex it to yourself in your destination? Or do as I do, carry your gear on,
Inconvenient, yes, but that's the reality.   Too much to carry? Time to trim
load or ship it another way.

c trentelman