Subject: [Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?
From: sdmp007 at pressroom.com (Sal DiMarco,Jr.)
Date: Sat Apr 3 12:30:38 2004

Luggers,
    Like most of you, I really feel for what happened to Ted Grant. However,
if he carried his equipment and film with him, this would all have been
avoided. (sorry, Ted)
    Unfortunately, we have to pay the price for 9/11. Air travel used to be
fun. Today, it's nothing but a big pain in the posterior.
    The security system, now in effect under the TSA is many times better
than the old system.
    Under the new system, every time I've asked for a hand inspection of my
film, it was done, WITHOUT an argument from the security personnel. Before
the TSA, it was always a hassle and I ALWAYS received the full treatment,
shoes, etc.
    If  you have to ship some gear as checked baggage, most TSA inspectors
will let you lock your cases after they are inspected.
    As for the new TSA 'friendly' locks, the TSA doesn't know about them,
yet. A few weeks ago, while doing an assignment at Philadelphia
International Airport, I spoke with a bunch of TSA types, and I asked about
the new locks. They never heard of them.
    There is not totally fool proof system.
    For those of you who will not fly to the US because of the new
photo/fingerprint rules, it's for everyone's protection. I'm sure, the next
time, I fly overseas, I will be fingerprinted and photographed.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA
Web Site: http://members.fcc.net/sal.dimarcojr

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?)
Reply from n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?)