Subject: Ducks - was: [Leica] PN55
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Apr 3 13:42:38 2004

On Saturday, April 3, 2004 Jerry Lehrer thoughtfully wrote:

>Bill
>
>Thanks for the "idiot-friendly" link.  Nice photo.
>
>Somehow I remember lots of ducks in the Venice canals.  Are
>they still around?  Or has there been a lot of  "caneton l'orange"
>served lately?

Here at UC Davis we have a really nice arboretum that periodically gets
overwhelmed with ducks. They nest all over and cause severe erosion along the
steep banks.

So the arboretum staff decided they would create an "adopt a duck"
program...which lasted approximately one day. A pond portion of the Putah Creek
watercourse opens near the University's admin building and the staff were
treated to "people adopting ducks willy-nilly" as the local paper put it. Folks
walking away with canvas bags of quakers.

There WAS, however, a substantial decline in the duck population.

Adam Bridge