Subject: [Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Apr 2 23:43:12 2004

On Saturday, April 3, 2004 Gerry Walden thoughtfully wrote:

>With all this happening, and the fact that apparently I will now have to
>be photographed and finger printed on arrival (not to mention the
>rudeness of the security staff) I think it will be a while before I
>visit the US again!

In my recent flying (withing the US) I've not had bad experiences. Phoenix,
Sacramento, Minneapolis, Boston have all gone very well even with high speed
film for them to play with.

My son, who flies a lot more than I do although primarily in the east, says that
Baltimore-Washingington is truly awful and always flies out of Dulles and that
many regional airports range from awful to nightmares. And that's just with two
laptops and the usual paraphenalia of a network support engineer.

I figure, no matter where I go these days, I'm gonna be photographed either
formally or informally. But it's embarrassing to have our guests fingerprinted,
a case of good intentions paving the road to hell.

I once spent a few quiet minutes with a security employee (after 9/11)
explaining why her looking through my M6 and clicking the shutter didn't tell
her anything. I think I confused her more. I know that I now travel with all my
cameras unloaded and lenses off.

What a pain. The turkey terrorists win again.

Adam Bridge