Subject: [Leica] Portfolio Review
From: daniel_ridings at yahoo.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Apr 6 09:23:11 2004

Lea,

I appreciated your criticism because they appeared to very serious and
business-minded ... professional. I found that refreshing.

The shots you criticize ... I didn't like them either, but for different
reasons. The cluttered shot (saddle, ladder, etc) just seemed to out of
place. Sexist shots don't bother me per se ... we see so many of them that
we just ho-hum.

The same with the young girl. I would have preferred her in a more
natural, rather than studio environment. I would feel uncomfortable taking
shots like that. I like to interact with my subjects and that would be
discomforting in this case. If that was a young woman's response to an
interaction with me ... it wouldn't work. For me, portraits are the result
of an interaction between the subject and the photographer where the
photographer tries to bring out something of essence in the subject.

But I'm just a hack.

Best,
Daniel