Subject: [Leica] a new one OT alert...
From: jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Apr 11 13:44:16 2004

No, I'm a fan of small government. But raising taxes twenty-fold on
cigarettes only makes smokers both addicted AND poorer. I know there are
folks who really love to smoke, and banning cigarettes would certainly
offend them. My older brother says that he would rather be dead than not
smoke, as did my father (who died of pulmonary fibrosis). I think I
would have stopped smoking earlier had cigarettes been illegal. Adding
them to the ranks of illegal would be a drop in the bucket compared to
the number of medications that cannot be taken without a prescription.
Like quinine, which now requires a prescription. Why? Are they afraid
that I will self-cure leg cramps, or self-cure malaria? Or take it just
because it tastes so good? :-)

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA