Subject: [Leica] R 90mm Elmarit's.. Now: upgrade
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Apr 14 16:12:55 2004

On 4/14/04 12:18 PM, "Feli di Giorgio" <feli@creocollective.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 12:08, Douglas Herr wrote:
>>
>> As much as I like the 90mm Summicron-R - and I think it's a superb portrait
>> lens
>>  - if Eric wants sharp sharp sharp the non-APO 90 doesn't have the same
>> mind-boggling detail-recording ability of the APO lenses, based on my
>> experience with the 100 APO.
>> Doug Herr
>
> I agree with the Birdman of Sacramento. ;-)
> I own the last pre ASPH 90 Cron-M and was able to shoot a few frames
> with the new 90 ASPH-M at a Leica Day. The old lens isn't even in the
> same ballpark with the new one. I've also rented the APO 100 and again
> there is no comparison. Brutally sharp. But I do prefer the pre ASPH 90
> Cron for portrait work. The ASPH and 100 APO show every pore, hair and
> blemish there is and most subjects do not react kindly to seeing the
> prints... 8-)
>
> Feli

To remedy the above I take two steps backward.
And put two inch borders on the not bigger than 8x10 paper.
I always go for the best, sharpest etc optic I can when I shoot anything.
A tight headshot of even a teenager (with no zits) taken with ANY lens can
contain in effect too much detail.
The trick is not not do tight headshot unless that is really what is
required.. And that is seldom the case. And print the face on the high key
side.
They'll take a head off a head and shoulders shot most likely.
But print it way small with a halftone screen. Like a thumbprint.
IF there are no requirements do a waist up shot not a head and shoulder.
Or a knees up shot for that matter. Show the chair, Show the window!
Its also the remedy for bad cello playing.
Have them play "Far Far Away".

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon