Subject: [Leica] portrait of a friend
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Apr 15 08:40:42 2004

Philippe Orlent showed and asked for comment." Subject: [Leica] portrait of
a friend
> it's a bit classic, but I like it:
> > http://www.leica-gallery.net/phorlent/image-64498.html
>
> Comments as always very appreciated.<<<<<

Bonjour Philppe,
When a fellow photog asks for comment and that the comments will be very
appreciated please remember this while you read my comments. Thank you.

There was potential here, however even with a pleasant smile it is lost
completely due to the flag pole growing perfectly right out of the centre of
the subjects skull!

This is so obvious it's surprising you missed it when shooting, however an
easy thing to do as many of us have done so in the past. And most likely
will do so again at some time in the future.

But as you prepared the shot for the screen the flag pole is it's so obvious
at that point it should've been relegated to "OOPS! Damn!" And filed in your
favourite photos of friends box ......... but not for others to see the flag
pole mistake.

It's also being a tough hearted editor of one's work, the most difficult of
all things for any photographer. Pro or amateur. We tend to allow our
emotions of the moment dictate what we think is good or bad at the time of
exposure.

There had to be a moment where this subject looked up, or was looking up
before or after this head down shot was made. It would've given a better
facial angle. It's the timing of the moment to shoot that's missed as you're
either "too early or too late," take your pick.

I trust this is the kind of response you appreciate, as it's given to assist
you in tightening up the timing aspect and hard nose editing required to
show only your best photographs.

When I let my emotions begin to dictate my choice of photograph, my
assistant pulls me up short by asking a simple question..... "Is this
picture one of your all time ten best pictures?"

If I answer no, obviously she's won immediately and the photograph is
dumped. Or one can edit by this fashion "If in doubt....... OUT!"  Breaks
one's heart sometimes! :-)
ted

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] portrait of a friend)