Subject: [Leica] portrait of a friend
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Thu Apr 15 12:24:18 2004

Thanks Ted,

In all honesty, I was quite aware of the facts you pointed out in your
reply, but, reading all the posts on the LUG since one month, I wanted to
tease a bit and get a (yet another ;)) debate going.

You've covered a few very interesting issues I'd like (very humbly and only
for the purpose of talking about "classical photography" vs.
"today's-(possible) evolutions-in-modern-photography" to comment on.

It will take me some time to get all what is slumbering in my head
concerning this down on  paper, but I will not withold you the topics. Hey,
maybe this will turn out to be a manifest or a form of an essay that will
cover more than what you have posted. I hope you do not consider this as
inappropriate.

If I'd wrongly use some vocabulary/terminology/spelling/grammar, this is due
to the fact that English is not my mother tongue (nor is French or German,
but I speak both rather fluently, too. It's a typical Belgian thing, but
that is a whole other story). I hope you forgive me for that.

Topics:
1) about portraits where something "grows out of the head", a flagpole for
instance.
2) about not looking in the camera and facial expression
3) about the ultimate photo
4) about emotions and using them when selecting photos
5) about intuition, pre- and post rationizing
6) about vignetting
7) about color and cast
8) about grain
9) about do's and don?ts
10) about tradition vs technology
11) about analog and/vs digital
12) about the importance of "m?tier"
13) about fun and playing in photography
14) about experimenting
15) about reproduction, interpretation, creation and art
16) about the importance of being not too earnest.

If you have other suggestions, feel free to add.

Sincerely,
Philippe

P.S. I really appreciate the comments people give: most of the time, I learn
a lot of it, and if not, it makes me think about it. Which for me, is what
photography and other art forms are about: using all you know and learn to
create new things.

---