Subject: [Leica] Slides the cat has gone to kitty heaven
From: sam at osheaven.net (Sam)
Date: Thu Apr 15 11:43:00 2004

I didn't read anything that was not easy to refute. Singer's statement
"There are two basic views that support cruelty [neither support
cruelty. That is Singer's 'helpful' interpretation] to animals: either
you accept the Aristotelian view that the universe has a purpose and the
less rational are here to serve the more rational, or you believe the
Judeo-Christian view that God has given us dominion over the world" is
limited in that he omits the notion of rational self-preservation, nor
does he consider willed consequence vs unintentional consequence. In
fact, to maintain his thesis he is forced to avoid rationality. A cynic
might conclude that he must avoid rationality to sustain his thought.
What he has done is to define the world by his own whim and has squeezed
a "philosophy" out of it. Difficult to do, but not convincing.

Sam S