Subject: [Leica] The Wall, Ted Grants message, and names
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Apr 16 10:53:13 2004

It's important to remember that the Wall was itself very controversial when its
design was selected and then built with many vet groups decrying it and
demanding that a more tradition monument be built. It was, but it is completely
overshadowed by the power of the Wall. I believe there is a documentary about
the process but I haven't had time to google around to find it.

Alas the movement to build a WW II monument on the Mall missed the point - that
the existance of the West is the monument for the battle they fought so now the
National Mall will have a vast monument added. Well, maybe I'm as wrong as the
critics of the Wall.

The Wall is a powerful memorial, whether the small one on tour (that was here in
the Central Valley quite recently), or the actual one on the Mall overseen by
Lincoln. There are names of friends on that way, people I went to school with, a
sea of names, a reminder of the price we all paid, those most especially, for
war.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] The Wall, Ted Grants message, and names)
Reply from sam at osheaven.net (Sam) ([Leica] The Wall)