Subject: [Leica] Re: colour developer screwup
From: jean.louchet at inria.fr (Jean Louchet)
Date: Fri Apr 16 15:57:54 2004

 Looks like the Rollei was deadly drunken indeed!
 Does it come from badly mixing the two components of the colour
developer, or from (even very slight) contamination of the 1st developer
by a component of the colour developer? Tetenal say in their docs that
even colour developer fumes are enough to spoil the colour dev. and turn
the deep blacks into greenish greys. PhotoChimie, a small French
photochemistry maker (who closed down since) added a small silver-plated
(?)  pill into their E-6 kit to drop into the first developer, they said
it was to protect it against this phenomenon.

 Years ago in Spain I went under a terrible thunderstorm and rain that
entered about everywhere into my (then nearly new) Nikon F and the
ektachrome-X cartridge inside (it was in 1975 or 76). I had to wait two
weeks until I went home and could process the films (7-bath E-4), the
results were terrific too. Similar colour inconsistencies, plus colour
stripes, and sorts of psychedelic squid legs-shaped stains hanging from
the top and bottom edges. I will try to dig out and scan a couple of them
some day. Old E-4 Ektachromes had a very soft emulsion (it could not be
processed over 25 celsius otherwise the emulsion dropped to the bottom of
the processing can) and real strange things must have happened in there
during the 15 day interval (hot summer). Processing was OK as the other
ektachromes all went out right. The Nikon just dried on the kitchen table
and is working smoothly ever since (not often).

Jean

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Re: colour developer screwup)